Not Ready

I understand that people are just trying to be helpful, but trying to push me to push my child into managing her own type one just pisses me off!
I know there are a lot of children, even younger then my own that take to diabetes management right away. I think that's great, and have no issues with children that are more mature in doing so.
Now that E is 9, more and more people keep asking me why she can't do her own management? "why can't she put her own pump site on?" BECAUSE SHE ISN'T READY!!!! Period. She is a happy go lucky child without a care in the world. She wants to play with her toys, her friends, go to the park. She doesn't want to think about this never ending asshole disease that never gives her a break.
She has zero interest in how her pump works, what insulin is, or how any of her devices keep her alive. She just wants to be a regular kids and eat Oreo's and play Robloxs.

If you were to ask her right now what type one diabetes is, she would stare blankly at you and go back to what she was doing.

It's isn't from lack of education or advocacy. She is a youth ambassador for JDRF. She engages in public events, attends diabetes camp. She just doesn't make type one a priority in her life.
I am so okay with all of that.
She has a lifetime ahead of her to figure all this crap out. I am just happy she is old enough to read a text message, bolus herself at school with my guidance, and let me know when she wants to eat something. Every kid learns at their own speed for just about everything, so why is everyone rushing this step in life?

I applaud all the kids out there that are shot giving pro's. Who figure out their own bolus, and change a pump site like the pit crew at Nascar. For those kids who don't, and just want to play outside, forget that they are low, and have no interest in how a Dexcom works, that's okay too. They will when THEY are ready, not when the adult makes them be ready.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sleepover

The Rise of the D Mom

A Quick Word about Fiasp